Emerging technologies represent opportunities for BC companies to develop new products and markets. The Emerging Technology Research Project was established to examine emerging technologies and their potential impact on the future of the provincial economy. Emerging technology was defined as a specific technology or technology area that is either new-to-the-world, for example quantum computing, or an existing technology or technology area that has new applications, for example bioinformatics or fuel cells.
This report examined:
- Technology trends that are likely to have significant impacts on the future economy of BC
- Technologies in which BC companies and industries can be leaders on a national or international scale in development/commercialization.
- Technologies that leverage BC’s competitive advantages (ie inexpensive hydroelectric power)
The analysis of this project used qualitative and quantitative analysis to identify 12 emerging technologies that had potential to impact the provincial economy in the near term or long term. The areas that were identified were:
- Mobile Commerce
- Knowledge Management/Knowledge Discovery (data mining and visualization)
- Gene Therapy
- Micro Fuel Cells
- Solid State Lights
- Genetically Modified Plants and Animals (to produce medicine, chemicals, fuels, and other useful goods) and Functional/Therapeutic Foods and Nutraceuticals (GMPA / FFN)
- Quantum Computing
- Intelligent Transportation Systems (communication, information, control technologies for vehicles and infrastructure to manage traffic flows and reduce congestion).